Switch to full style
Post a reply

website editor

09 May 2012, 10:33

first off I must say that anything to do with computers and ICT in general I do not know much about, I am in effect a novice.

Currently my building is paying a web developer an excessive amount to maintain our website, www.thepiazza.co.za

I have volunteered to do the maintainence myself, the updates are infrequent at maybe once a month and generally just involves the uploading of documents and editing of the content. Personally I do not think it can be that hard.

However, what free software can I use to do the maintanence? I have done a bit of googling but I am hesistant of taking something based on reviews I read on the net.

Re: website editor

29 May 2012, 19:49

I don't really know the free software out there, but I checked your site and don't seen anything complex.
It's looks like plain HTML.
So any HTML editor should do the trick.
Personally I like used Dreamweaver, not free though.

If you need to choose, then I would suggest that you look for tutorials relaying to that product.
Head over to http://w3schools.com/ to get and introduction to HTML.

For a small fee I can tutor you the first few times ;)

05 Jun 2012, 14:38

thanks for your input

a friend of mine managed to assist me over the weekend, yes I agree it is a simple html website, but I have no clue about computers and I just want to save the body corporate some cash.

05 Jun 2012, 14:43

there are free tutorials for HTML beginners on the net. the basics you can grasp in 2-5 hours.

05 Jun 2012, 20:47

Notepad will work... Notepad++ if you wanna be cool ;)

HTML is a scripting language and the WYSIWYG/Drag and drop editors normally make for messy code and problems and difficult to maintain websites.

The w3schools tutorials are very good, I refer to stuff on their site when I forget something regularly.

If you get stuck, post your question and I will give it a go at helping.

25 Jun 2012, 12:44

well my friend will probably be done in a week or so with the conversion of the website into a format that I can edit quickly

what attracted me to his solution is that should I no longer be able to maintain the website for whatever reason, the maintenance could easily shift to another person with very little training required.

I will report back once everything is done.
Post a reply